Saturday, August 27, 2005

over the cliff, or all downhill from here

Well, there’s second opening night done with. Also a good show, with some real high points and moments of brilliance. Today, the chaos of a double show day, which are also coincidentally their closing shows. No chance of hitting a nice steady pace with this production, it’s nothing at all but ups and downs!

So the kids have learned what a hanger is, but not how to really use it, and have been rushed to become runway models split seconds after they leave the stage…Tonight I imagine they’ll be rushing to get off to cast parties. (And I was reading bios yesterday – our youngest is eleven! And our oldest, maybe, seventeen, with the bulk of them 13 and fourteen. Yet they polish up like they’ve been in the heart of Hollywood since birth!)
But after tonight’s show, everything just goes in laundry bags, or is put aside to go to the cleaners’ next week. So maybe NEXT time I can work on improving their life skills by showing them what a hanger can really do, if you let it!

I’m definitely getting a list of favourites. Some for their ability on the stage, some for their minute to minute charm. Then we have my personal albatross. Yes, the girl with the pants. The first pair didn’t fit at dress parade though they were okay at the fitting. I got a second pair and altered and dyed them, and she’s worn the first pair as much as the second. (well, they’re almost the same colour, maybe she can’t tell them apart?) [Sadly, the first pair are still the most flattering pair, on either actress, and match my desired look better. Sigh.]
Then she wanted to wear black nail polish for her role. We can’t get her to clip her hair back, even slightly, from her face, so she has a tendency to look a little bit like a bleached afghan dog, with just a nose poking out. Last night she had the most hideous makeup, but since they’re townspeople in that scene, I was willing to assume the possibility of a streetwalker in the crowd. And yet again, I had to talk her out of personal jewellry, so to compensate, she “adjusted” her costume more to her liking, loosening the skirt, so it looked like it might slither off her, and re-tailoring her blouse with a not-so-judicious elastic band taking it up into a knot in the back.
I turned a blind eye because the scene is such where they’re really just on and then off, with a flurry of loud and noisy action in between, and it wasn’t going to affect anything.
I feel guilty for chickening out, but she’s such a petulant surly creature, I couldn’t bear to try.

Of course, what’s scary is that she’ll probably make it as a star. That always seems to be the way things go. I suppose it would be easier to forgive if she were amazingly talented, but I don’t think those abilities have developed yet…

No comments: