Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Dingos ate my baby

Well, actually no, it’s “Teenagers Ate My Brain”. And really, I think it’s getting better!

I did find that after Twelfth Night, it was all I could do to hold a single thought in my head, and keep it organized. The aftermath week was a bit rough. Laundry didn’t require too much thinking, but I was also trying to plan for a camping trip on the long weekend. And instead of being able to call on auto-pilot for the planning, I was going to have to compile different gear than usual, that would pack into a much smaller vehicle.

Yes, since our boys had abandoned us to go to CanIRON V in Nova Scotia and smelt iron, Selena and I were going to load two (though somewhat reduced) camps into her Mazda Protégé, and do it ourselves! And much to our delight, it worked. (We’re very proud of ourselves. NOTE: this is NOT ordinary camping but a re-enactors’ event, so handy little dome tents would be sub-par!)

But we both ended up with a period tent, and a sunshade, and a kitchen space.

And then, last week, I met with the artistic director of the theatre, and we talked about further work. Except for the first and last shows of their season, where the costumes are already arranged for, he’s pretty much offered me the balance of the season! So I just have to decide if I can survive on “professional-lite” money.
And the Christmas show does have kids, but only a half dozen. Easy peasy, eh!

Right now, I’m having a domestic moment. I picked chokecherries yesterday. (There were still some the birds hadn’t got!) And right now I’m making some kind of apple chokecherry ‘squish’, also using apples from our trees. Of course, this is a bit experimental. I’ve not done much jelly-making before, and am morphing a handful or recipes, but if nothing else it’s made a wonderful perfume in my house!

No comments: