Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Gifts of love....

I know, I should have taken a picture. I never remember the camera when there’s a sudden need. And if I plan to drag it out and along, then it never gets used.

Yes, Bear, one of my loving cats brought me an exciting gift yesterday. (Bear tends to bring me new pets and set them free for my enjoyment!) Yesterday’s special thoughtful present was a lovely little snake. (Urk!)
I was chatting on the phone with my mom in Manitoba, and heard the triumphant call of a cat with a gift, so we finished up the conversation and I went out to check. And there was proud Bear with his trophy, an intricately squiggled and coiled snake. I had a moment’s flurry of thought about what, on my side of the snake, could be used to put over top and trap him there. (Nothing worse than gifts roaming free and uncatchable!) I emptied out a plastic box of threads and sewing notions, and set it over top. Then I could more leisurely praise Bear and offer him better tasting treats.

After some careful maneuvering with a manila envelope and then the lid, I had the snake secure and took him out to show Darrell and set him free.
Actually, it was a very beautiful snake. At a safe distance. A young garter snake striped most exotically in rusty orange, with a glowing orange belly. (Underside?) I’ve only ever seen dull green and black garter snakes before. This one was lovely. At a distance. So we set him free in the front garden, and I watched him slither his way to a new life.

On a more enjoyable note, having decided that all my hummers have abandoned me, I switched that feeder for my sunflower one, in order to cement a relationship with all my potential wintry birds. And the chickadees and goldfinches have been having a good time. Then yesterday we had two woodpeckers show up again, and start a rat-a-tat on the side of the house. (While I could live without them pecking holes in the house, I’m glad to see them back. I think there was one of each, a Downy and a Hairy.) And several times yesterday, what I’m sure was Mrs. Rose-breasted Grosbeak was happily stuffing her face at the feeder…

This past year was the first that I’ve been putting out nyger seed as well as sunflower, and it did make all those little finch birds ecstatic. Birds are such cheap and satisfying pets. Though I often have qualms about appearing to be setting up an all-you-can-eat buffet for my cats. It’s time for my regular stern chat!

No comments: