Friday, June 02, 2006

Note to Self

Leek season in Wareham is drawing to a close, at least for above-
ground greens.

Too bad, because I was hoping for a few more salad-y green
leek tops. Also wanted to try drying and crumbling them as a
'spice'.
Of course, the bulbs are now getting to a goodly size for the
pickling thereof. Which I also want to do more of.

Last year I'd tried two style of leek pickles; a ginger one, and a
mustard one. Both good, though I think the mustard one was
best. That may just be because I'd had a jar of wonderful wild
leek mustard pickle years ago, and have longed to recreate it.

But as to season length, I know we went gathering leeks around
the 10th of June last year, though it was less tops and more
bulbs. So it might be the same timing as last year, or maybe just
a bit short.
It does seem to mean that I can use the leeks in my forest
garden as a gauge, though, since they've started yellowing and
falling over, as well.

Oh, and note: first gathering happened weekend of May 6th.

anti-v

No comments: