Seemingly endless!
I’ve been poking at a cast-off computer from a friend. It needs a BIOS upgrade, and seems like the power supply fan has seized. But it was a different thing to be poking at for a change. Nice to be mucking about with something I wasn’t deeply involved with!
My own computer, after I’d taken out the faulty RAM, was being weird still, but only every two days. And then it wasn’t weird….
Mind you, I walked in today, and all of a sudden those little white words on black: DISK FAILURE! GGGGGGRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!
So I took it apart and jiggled its guts and it worked again. I’m starting to think that one of its problems is a loose “ribbon cable”. (No idea what the real technos call those.) I’ve noticed again and again that it’s a real effort to get that cable to connect to the hard drive and stay connected. And since my processor is on the flight path of one small cat who like to be in high places, it gets a bit of a jostle from time to time…
Anyway, since I had the whole thing apart again, I also tried flipping the sound connector for the CD Rom, (still not the solution), actually remembering to screw the CD Rom into place, and stealing some RAM from the other computer I’ve been working on…. Interesting. The first slot for RAM was empty. I thought, from what I’ve read, that you had to start with slot 1 and work outwards. Admittedly it was a pain to access that slot, not enough space for hands, like working on a Honda! But with a lot of jaw-clenching and teeth-gritting I managed. Now have to see what happens. I’ve added 192 kb. Will it solve my problems? Who knows….
Speaking of Hondas, a friend emailed me this link to a sweet little Honda Element ad. I had to figure out where I’d stashed Quicktime, moved from previous computer and never installed, but it was worth it. Charming, silly, little ad. Don't know if I can make this a clickable link or not...have to try.
http://www.funnybutwrong.com/Funny-Videos/5.Advertisements/31.Honda-Element- Crab-commercial.html
No comments:
Post a Comment