No, I didn’t quite fall off the edge of the earth. It just seems like I must have.
I did write a blog entry on the laptop; I was quite proud of myself, my fingers are so big and the laptop is so small….. But for some reason, while I could connect to the internet enough to see email, I couldn’t connect to the blog site…
So, where the heck have I been since my last blog?
[What WAS my last blog?]
Let’s see: It was the Katimavik house in October. “Katimavictims” as we call them at the theatre, because we’re one of the “partners”, and get one as a placement, and Sarah manages to sweet talk the whole lot in for strikes and the like!
Then it was Mary’s Wedding at Theatre Orangeville. Ostensibly I was really just hired to do some alterations, but of course I ended up being the costume co-coordinator as well. (Sadly, it didn’t really come along with the money….) But heck, I like the theatre, and it kept me off the streets. (so to speak.. Not off the highways, though!)
As we went down for opening night, the Honda started behaving more oddly than usual. At first I assumed it was just Darrell. When Darrell drives, my cars all seem to freak out. Or maybe, it’s just that if they’re going to freak out, they wait till Darrell is driving. Kind of the canary in the mineshaft thing. Like I used to be for IT at work….
But no, the ailment lingered….
(Sure, I know I was living on borrowed time, but still… I was willing to keep on borrowing.)
Then, in November, I drove down for a meeting about the Christmas show. Car was perfectly behaved on way down. On the way back? Well, “toes up” about describes it. It was a painful return journey, taking WAY longer than it should have. SIGH!
So, then I fumbled through the Christmas show (Kringle’s Window / FOUR Santas!) by using Darrell’s truck, and a week of the theatre van when he was away, and then the truck again. (Wow! That theatre van! A 2004 Montana! Not only this century, but also this millennium!!! Was that ever a treat! Mind you, it was a bit more electronic than I’m happy with. When you put it in gear, it locks the doors!!! Made stopping to pick up the mail a real chore, because it doesn’t unlock when you put it in park…)
Kringle was a bit of a madhouse. The usual short production period – two weeks – plus I had some builds. And several more finicky than usual actors to dress. But in the end, I think it looked nice. Certainly I was very satisfied with my vision of Kris Kringle, the TRUE Santa. (Yes, it might have helped that the actor was a lovely Welsh gentleman with a wonderful plummy voice…. But I was in love.)
Sadly, I missed the opening because winter hit us with a vengeance late that afternoon. And then I spent several days trying to recover from the nineteen-hour days of the second/last week. Hence, Christmas was quiet.
Though when we had to go meet up with the Markewitz clan, I also arranged to buy a used car from someone I know. So we’re now on the verge of having it ready to register, and maybe I’ll have wheels again! Because I’m already chin deep in the January show: The Emperor’s New Clothes. [I know, why do they need a costume designer?]
Anyway, back to work… Maybe I’ll be talking to you again soon. You never know!
No comments:
Post a Comment