Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Revealed!

At last!
I've taken to carrying the camera with me every time I go to the pond, in hopes of catching a glimpse of our elusive turtle. (I can point out turtle dints from where he's been sunning, to Darrell, but he's been hinting to me that it's a phantom turtle....)
Well, I made my pilgrimage this evening, noting dints but no turtle.

Then I decided to draw a small line in the sand along the water's edge because we're worried about how much the pond is dropping in this very dry summer. Ack! I barely made a mark in the sand when suddenly a sinkhole appeared. and then I realized that the interesting looking little rock in the water that I'd looked at earlier today was also a little face!

I ran for the camera, and Darrell, and voila! our mystery turtle is revealed. We have a pair of snapping turtles, and this fellow was totally prepared to take a noisy bite out of the end of the shovel Darrell was judiciously nudging him with...

2 comments:

Karen said...

Turtles, turtles - rah! rah! rah!
Turtles, turtles - hah! hah! hah!

ohhhhh.... I love turtles!

-----
Sorry, I just couldn't resist :) At least you don't have to hear the tone-deaf accompaniment.

He's a cute critter.

Anonymous said...

Snappers! How marvellous!