Now this was a bit weird.
I came home from a rather exhausting stretch of meetings with
the Theatre today, about the Young Company production of Peter
Pan, for which I'll be designing costumes, and as I walked into
the garage with an armful of stuff, I heard an odd sort of noise.
Odd enough that I stopped and listened.
At first I thought it maybe sounded a bit like the hissing you
might here if some airline was leaking a bit.
Then it sounded like maybe Darrell had left his shop radio on,
but that it was extremely distorted. Then it sounded closer. In
fact it sounded like it was coming from ME!
I looked down to see what I was carrying, and down by my foot,
there was...a squirrel. Sort of a tiny-squirrel like creature, in a
kind of splayed attitude. I sort of backed away, partly for a better
look.
And damned if he didn't kind of scuttle at me. Well, no maybe
he lunged. Certainly he hurried in my direction. I backed up
further, towards the forge and the door into the house. Squirrel
came too. Faster. And making weird noises!
I darted around him and out of the garage, turning around as I
went. He was coming after me....
At this point, heart pounding, I timmied out totally and trotted
around to the back of the house and up to the deck and in that
way. And kind of gasped my story out.
Kindly Darrell went down to investigate.
No sign of anything, but yes, there was the strange faint little
noise. And then more sound. He pulled the garage door back
from where it was folded back against the wall, and there, on a
cross-board and in the coils of an extension cord, were two
young squirrels!
Out came the heavy work gloves, and squirrels were re-located to
the woodpile. (Of course, their not so subtle shrieks and cussing
drew the attention of Bear, one of my cats, and as far as I know
he's still sitting sentry duty on the chopping stump!
And actually, after skulking around in the garage, I think there
may be other young'uns still hiding behind a pile of anvils and
blacksmithing gear!
I feel a bit silly now. But he put on a really good threatening
show!
1 comment:
Oh dear, this almost reminds me of the Arthurian skit in one of the Monty Python films: the rabbit with the big, sharp, pointy teeth!
Post a Comment